The Official Faction Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mi7ch, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragTheWaters

DragTheWaters Member

I think this is a poorly formed argument for artificial team cohesion. My faction is based all over the world. So, I have maybe three or four people online at any given time. My faction isn't made up of hard-core hourly players. We play to have an occasional laugh, not to sit together in a room like Magic the Gathering and try to work out who's going to beat whom. The game is social and is meant to pull people from all over together. How would anyone posit that there needs to be an aspect of the game that is driven to ensure that many players within the faction are online at once, as a strategy where you have limited resources. Poorly formed and executed. It'll be the least played aspect of the game...except for maybe beating out the often played, Workshop, where you can sit around for minutes at a time awaiting the servers to respond (slowest part of the entire experience), while you guess at possible combinations for building something that looks interesting, but can't be used in the game, EVER, because it isn't worth a damn. Yay...Workshop and Faction Wars!

2. slave

slave Member

i cant remember the last time i was in a war when i had to wait between attacks..yawn....

yawn
    yawn
    more yawn

its been going for 8 hours and im not even interested enough to check it...

you had to be able to come up with something better than this...

3. JADES

JADES Well-Known Member

I don't play ZS, but by reading all the posts, lucky you did not BETA test this in VC LOL. Sorry ZS I feel ya just had to comment.

4. AlterEgoT

AlterEgoT Well-Known Member

I understand you don't want to change the game but may ask....Why not? It's stale and so limited that folks just stop by for short periods of time and the game is often completely dead (on all 3 platforms) for long periods of time. I would think you'd want to regain interest in the actual game which when it began was completely awesome and has deteriorated in feel as more and more protections and limits were added.

I'd have much rather seen our every day actions count towards the war than to have it segregated. Encouraging folks to actually PLAY instead of showing up for the special events only.

Another con. Smaller factions can't compete they don't have the number of tokens to use. It appears to be encouraging alts as well since they can control when those show up therefore allowing them a greater opportunity for a kill. Even at the beginning when I was full tokens No way could I have killed anything unless I just got plain lucky. Run out just looking at the factions much less do any damage to them.

ps. Give me back the april unicorns over the faction wars. At least that got us all talking in a fun way.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. poco

poco New Member

So a faction is supposed to work together. Yes, I understand. Can you make every faction member get on at the same time? Oh wait... people with multiple alts can. This is a breeding ground for alts or creating alts. Factions can only work as a team depending who is online at that moment. I f you guys think people will pay for UN on this think again. It's a lost cause. All the hype building it up was for nothing. Should of kept it nonexistent.

6. Our kills don't match, WP are now though. thank you :)

7. So what

So what Member

Grand

Nice plattitudes there eric

Sorry to hear you're disappointed, during the beta stage we're hear to listen to everyone's feedback and push through fixes and updates to make this feature fun for everyone. The purpose of wars is to offer a new pvp mechanic without disrupting the core gameplay or player use cases since it's opt in. With wars being an event we're able to be more flexible with the design and customize it based on your feedback.

Waited all night. For a new way of pvp
    Because the bots and scripts are over run in arena

Youd know that if u played it

Went to attack a faction known for its lack of def.......as their is all weighted in attack and not all full time players so best weighted goes forward

To lose against them..... Yep Right thanks for the .........head trip. Once again been intresting.

Good luck with this because its a diaster. Roll out the red carpet for alts you have made them the golden bike to ride

Your really not intrested in real players at all

Signs on it

The alts dont need to complain

The game is made for them their bots n scripts

8. DragTheWaters

DragTheWaters Member

Sniper no Snipey

If we're going to have limited resources for Faction Wars, then the sniping has to go away. It's crap to have the group of faction members come in and work to beat something down, just to have it taken away. Not as big of a deal in a hitlist kill, a slightly bigger deal in Battle Arena, but in Faction Wars it becomes almost unbearable to have it happen, because the other faction isn't really doing the work, but they're getting all of the benefit. The faction kill should be worth less, if it's going to be allowed to continue.
    Two suggestions to change the game mechanics to work in favor of a team that is working to kill a faction:
    First, Faction Wars could be changed to be mano a' mano in a random way....all factions would be lined up with another randomly chosen faction, until one faction is dead. Then, when another faction is ready, match them up again. It could turn into a tournament style where the best end up going up against the best...and the worst go against the worst. The faction kills for the worst are worth less, and the best factions winning the faction kills are worth more.
    Second, an ever increasing scale could be applied for attacks on the same faction, so that over time, as the faction gets more attacks in on one faction (playing as a team, like it appears is the desired behavior), then they get more and more WP. That way, losing the kill at the end wouldn't be as devastating to the overall strategy.

9. I rename this faction waiting around for tokens to regenerate

10. Darren Mcentire

Darren Mcentire New Member

I've read post after post from my fellow players complaining about faction wars 1. I am astonished by the degree of childish,chirlish, bitchy replies . Grow up people!
    I for one am pleased KANO has decided to do this. A chance for even the less than average factions to compete against factions closer to their own levels. I applaud these types of ventures from Kano and their teams of techs. You guys are trying and that says volumes about your organization as a whole. KUDOS.. If the BETA version is a little glitchy and some of the less than adult members are whining and bored ..GOOD. Perhaps they will decide to quit. I think it would be best if they did. Who needs em anyway?
    Kano developers are trying to iron out the bugs and make the next war better. I am positive that they will do just that because they do care. I have played games on other social networking sites in the past. Spent a lot of time developing my characters and building a strong friendship with the people I played these games with. Without warning they just deleted the entire game. All the time and money as well . Gone along with their uncaring, all powerful delete button. I don't see Kano doing something like that. I instead see them attempting to improve the games for all the players. and in so doing subjecting themselves to all the whiners and complainers , Insults and in several cases downright ridicule. You all know who you are . I will not point fingers of shame at them. They are perfectly aware of their shameful behaviour. Cheers everyone. Kudos Kano! Darren Mykeyfits... peace.

11. SHO KOSUGI

SHO KOSUGI Member

That is a long time to wait for a token to refill. Maybe you purposely made that slow to make sure that we spend UN?

12. Jim Wells

Jim Wells Member

You got to start with full tokens?????? I started with like 50!!!! I had to wait until today so that I could play this weak excuse for a game function for about 5 minutes, maybe thats an exaggeration, it was more like 1 minute.

13. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

My thoughts: Tokens would be earned faster (20-30/hour instead 12/h), and cause less regeneration when healing, big factions need a miracle 2 be drown.:rolleyes:

On the other hand it looks to be very funny! Just make a tiny skinny tuning, and u've got it team. :cool:

14. So what

So what Member

AGREED

sorry but we got a death blow

showed on screen

then gone to another faction

kills gone missing

and as for the snipping
    well i cant sit there all day and as you have used the very same principal as areana

the small divisions have no hope of a kill when a large one is sitting there all day just watching
    and snipping

edit

ok after some time and a lot of chatting

it has the potential to be actually quite something if your really intrested in ppl really been able to stack up against each other
    the core players are static ....there here 24/7
    surrounded by various players that will come online for a couple of hours max
    if the WAR WAS TRULY to be that A war
    where you reheal every 15 mins and death is not a final blow out

then the reasoning for not allowing a full scale war because the smaller factions cant compete
    why arent they in their own ...DIVISION with only their level with them
    day 1

and repeat it till you have clear winners
    on all levels
    and then put the winners back in for a full out WAR
    with no limits on tokens if they have the UN for it

15. Survival Streak 0

Survival Streak 0 Active Member

Probably the funniest bit about this whole thing was the faction hopping the day before the war started...all these people with very little confidence in the factions they've been in forever...lol

16. Eric

Eric Administrator

@dragthewaters
    Having Faction members in multiple timezones actually offer a stretegical advantage, you can coordinate eyes on the game during most hours of the day, 3-4 sub groups in your Faction playing at different times could work. We're also looking at adding power attacks which could help some smaller groups pull off bigger kills and reduce any sniping opportunities. Also the kill isn't that high in terms of the WP awarded for attacking, eg. a team could get 30k WP for attacking where the kill would only be around 2k WP. Note that as you kill the same Faction multiple times that kill bonus degrades, eventually those sniped kills will receive a lower bonus. Thanks for including your ideas (noting tournament mode) great to have them during this beta round while we're still finalizing this feature.

@hilary kills and other stats should all be matched up now, if you're noticing wins/losses aren't matching it's because the totals count received attacks also

@so what thanks for the feedback. The point of this beta is to playtest a baseline configuration and adjust accordingly based on the data and feedback. As mentioned we are looking at possibly making the token regeneration faster.
    Skills are used in 2 major areas, the total strengths of your Faction and your individual perks. The total att/def strength of the Faction is made up from the top 15 skilled players personal skills along with their item and armed loadouts. The total health of the Faction is made up from the top 15 skilled players' max health.
    Individual Perks, your minimum attack damage is based on your skills allocated in attack, your heal capabilities is based on your skills allocated in defense.
    We do have new measures and requirements in place in the War to deter bot/script activity. Was there anything specific you noticed?
    For XP received it should actually be better then the arena as the XP is based off your level and not any opponent. Again being beta we are evaluating the data and things like XP can change.
    We're only interested in real players and appreciate your contributing ideas (noting the division and tournament enhancements) during this time while we finalize this feature.

@slave/craig this feature was created as an event to extend pvp gameplay where most features in game are already 24/7. Creating a Faction event will complement the single player Battle arena and give us the flexibility to offer rankings and awards. That said we are considering extending the play time to 3+ days.

@Darren Thanks! Nice to see a supportive comment in here :) You nailed it, we're here to work hard and make great games for this community, and these forums are here because we care about what you all have to say!

@jim not sure how you started with 50 tokens, it should have been 100. As mentioned we will be reworking token levels and regeneration timing.

17. slave

slave Member

@eric - easily the worst non event of my game playing career, i was interested for all of 30 seconds, then was out of tokens and thus out of interest, if you cant put something into place where you can hold our interest for more than 30 seconds heaven help your little indie group. how out of interest was i? i completely forgot all about it till the next day.....
    if that is not tipping you off that this was an epic fail, then i dont know what to tell you, i saw some good ideas added in here all of which were much better than the product you tried out on us

i think the time has come for you to start playing zs and to play this "event" you tried to give to us and then you would understand why you have heard complaining from 10-15 of your top 20 players in the game (those that you havent banned from forum yet). the one person who congratulated you on your performance, ive never even heard of in game and that means he is a low level and applauds anything that "levels" a playing field since he would be hopelessly outclassed.

you identified the strength of factions somehow, you seperated them into divisions and then you threw them into freefall?
    if you took the time to seperate them into divisions then you should have only allowed them to attack people within their division, theres nothing wrong with that, that would level your playing field. but to limit attacks
    that is just lame, thats not a war, thats rewarding people who built their slayer and didnt build stamina or nrg
    this is supposed to be a war, i have never heard of a war where people cant attack when they want
    maybe you should rename this to faction fairness

as far as my interest goes, i would be highly surprised to enter our faction in it again, and its not sour grapes but just a terrible event, and not worth getting excited - oh we did have 8 people sign up ......thats good right?

18. DragTheWaters

DragTheWaters Member

Hey Eric, you might want to check your math on that. If you attack once and win the attack, you get 10-30 WP. If you attack once and win the kill, you get over 2K WP. This is why there is such a disparity in the current leaderboard. Go check the stats yourself and you'll see that the factions that are leading have approximately the same number of attacks (as it should be, since everyone has 15 players, and the same number of refills on tokens) as a faction 10 places behind them. There will be a slight amount of skew for some factions that are healing, instead of attacking. But, the core of the issue remains. Sniping is the difference. Right now, it's the only real difference. So, it shouldn't be possible, given your hypothesis of the game mechanics, that the leader would have over twice as many WP as the faction only 10 spots behind them, but it's the reality.

19. Jim Wells

Jim Wells Member

+684.jpg the rewards really make it not worth the effort, sorry

20. Survival Streak 0

Survival Streak 0 Active Member

You're not limited to having 15 members in the war, I think we've got 18 or 19, but only using 15 peoples stats for strength
    Attack a faction in a higher division for higher rewards :p Factions in Divsion A give better xp/wp's than ones in B, B gives better than C ect

Edit: Just for clarity I don't really like this 'war' much either, I don't even know how it could be better, allowing token refills will make it so it boils down to UN spent instead of teamwork, not allowing refills causes boredom. Just Meh... I guess I expected something a bit different.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.