[VC] Battle Arena - The Road Ahead

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mi7ch, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

Well my dear Jaeger, I keep telling everyone I ain't as dumb as I look. Maybe one day more will see that to be true.

2. Hellhavenofury:)

Hellhavenofury:) Active Member

most ba are done in a day or so the only one that has lasted the three days was vc and thats because kano forced it to last -the ba should be simple the last man or woman standing by killing everyone not outscoring them

3. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

scoring is good so that only active participants rank, not the hiders who do the 100 min attacks and then hide for 5 hours.

4. ben

ben Active Member

last ba on kp 2 pc had 135 in it only 23 showed active ... what a shame ... :(

5. Kirsten

Kirsten Well-Known Member

Ben how many active Players are even there, I mean ones that play daily ?

6. Birkebeiner

Birkebeiner Active Member

A solution would be to not have "Defensive Stance" - making an incremental change to the original BA, by getting rid of this one feature and "crediting" high defence players with more resilience to taking damage.

Crowning a dead carcass the winner of an arena event is just wrong.

In terms of being rewarded for activity, anyone who spends the stamina would get the XP. With sufficient XP you level, and when you level you get more skill points and FPs - so there's a reward for being active already built into the "old" version of BA. Now, in the new versions of BA, there's no reward for surviving and actually winning, there's only a reward for spending stamina - there's no excitement and no variation - if you outspend others you win.

Games are successful because they pose intellectual challenges combined with an uncertain outcome - it's this combination that makes for excitement - I really can't see any challenge or uncertainty in the current version of BA, the excitement is gone.

7. Birkebeiner

IG BA rules and help file needs an update to reflect recent changes...

8. kevinmalo

kevinmalo Active Member

Numbers already droped once again... level restriction is only showing that we are loosing players on arena.....

9. ben

ben Active Member

a hex alot more than that ... thats for sure ...

10. ben

ben Active Member

yea we are losing them big time they dont like the changes that kano is making ...

11. Jaegermeister

Jaegermeister Active Member

i'll bet that you're losing the hit and hiders, now that just getting 100 attacks no longer guarantees a ranking.

12. Is it just me or has the saved list not... I mean NOT changed at all???

13. Demonik1

Demonik1 Well-Known Member

its just you lol once a person has been killed on your saved list they disappear from it....that doesnt delete them from your arena feed tho, another loophole that needs looking into...really no point in the feed anyway if you ask me

Kirsten likes this.
  14. Demonik1

that sounds logical in theory but its a diff world on server 2 and even tho there are some that refuse to join now, the same old group of actives still join and participate so it IS making a difference

15. Kris Lee DUke

Kris Lee DUke Member

How did everyone like the Arena this last go-round?

--- For those that liked the ability to revive, they had 8 hours to do that part.
    --- For those that liked the "old style" arena where it plays sudden death down to 1 player and ends, that part occurred as well.

I approve of it. I liked it. -- And I actually missed the complete first 8 hours part of it and only played when the "sudden death" part kicked in. Still did quite well.

Everyone is saying "take it back to the old arena style", but after the first 8 hours, it basically IS the old arena style. What say you?

Grand Master Fielding likes this.
  16. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

So everyone wasn't killed off within the first 8 hours? I can't play at the start time for the next one, so I'm debating whether to join or not. If I won't have a chance to participate, I'm not going to join.

17. Grand Master Fielding

Grand Master Fielding Active Member

Gotta be honest here - Kano finally got something right again. Praise be where it should be. This was a good arena. And I say that not having won this past arena, which I usually do in KANO Server 2. But it gave everyone a chance to get in, get a few hits in, and then the final 16 hours of the sudden death. How the arena should be - a fight to the death.

18. Demonik1

the only ones that should be able to revive are people with no attacks that couldnt make it for the start, besides that it should all be sudden death...the first 8 hrs were boring as hell with still the same people sitting in dmode for no other reason than self gratification. if it stays this way, i wont be participating anymore....only played in this one cause i was asked to give it a chance

LaScepter likes this.
  19. Birkebeiner

...and the winner of the arena should be dead?

If anyone wants to build a good event they've got to build it on a sound foundation. An arena event "should be" won by the last person standing.

I agree with GMF, it should be a fight to the death, but I disagree that the victor can be a carcass.

George Burd and LaScepter like this.
  20. Birkebeiner

I agree that the first eight hours is good for those who wanted an arena event as an alternative way to earn XP, get battle drops and burn stamina. Most battle lists are pretty empty - so giving people this chance to play and level is a good thing. If anything, this portion of the event should be longer - maybe 24 hours, as many people didn't manage to play during the eight hours.

The sudden death part of the arena did have the excitement of "death", but the outcome was probably decided by the first eight hours. Allowing the health bonuses from kills in the first part of the event to carry over to the sudden death part of the event meant that anyone who hadn't bulked up on kills before the finale couldn't compete.

I personally wanted to participate in both parts of the arena event, but couldn't make it to the first part, because of time zone issues (this could be fixed by extending this portion of the event to 24 hours, or sixteen for that matter), and, while I was fully prepared to participate in the sudden death part of the event - I was killed, even though I was in defensive stance only taking 6% damage, before I had the chance to swing my axe. Again, this could be fixed by not having health bonuses from the prior round carry over to the sudden death part of the event - I felt I defended well and hit hard, my biggest attack was over 80 million, and the biggest attack of my killer was just over 109 million, but he obviously had a ton of saved up health so there was nothing I could do.

In the Kong/AG server, I felt that the people who deserved to do well got their rewards, but it'd be a better event if:

1) scoring for arena rewards were based on survival, and the winner would have to be alive (this time our winner was alive - congrats!),

2) health did not carry over to the sudden death part of the event - all vikings should start with their normal health at the beginning of the sudden death part (this change would probably mean that there's no reason to get rid of the stamina slider),

3) the first part of the arena should be 24 hours - followed by another 24 hour sudden death part - to allow everyone a chance to burn stamina and try to survive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.